Wednesday, February 04, 2015

BOOK REVIEW: Hand Stitched Home by Susan Beal

"Hand-Stitched Home"

Projects to Sew with Pendleton® & Other Wools  by Susan Beal

 

I rate it 4 Stars

Review

This is a beautiful book, to look at.
When I requested to read this book I didn't realise that it was all about using wool and fabric from Pendleton Wool Mill for the projects.
The Author obviously has a deep love and respect for the fabrics and products produced by Pendleton, just reading her words makes me want to own a few pieces and get myself some fabric to use for myself too..
There is a wonderful piece on the history of the company, their production methods and designs that is very interesting, she then goes onto give information about wool, weights and uses.
There are some basics on sewing implements, stitching and piecing then you get right into the projects of which there are 25, they range from quite simple to more difficult applique and piecing.  None of them are extremely difficult but all are very well outlined, explained with some great diagrams and photos.
They all give you the type and weight of pendleton wool that is used which is helpful if you need to substitute, and some give you substitution ideas too..

This book made me want to get some wool and make a cushion or a blanket or a scarf and I am looking forward to the cooler weather when I will do just that.

No comments: