Friday, May 21, 2010

BLOGGERS QUILT FESTIVAL

It is the 3rd Bloggers quilt festival
and I have chosen a quilt very dear to my heart to share with you.









This is a quilt that I made for my Dear little boy Sam.





This is Sam when he had just turned 2.






I specifically purchased a "Silly Safari" Jelly Roll to make him a quilt for when he went into a single bed.
I used a pattern from a Jelly Roll book and I was worried that it was too bright and wouldn't promote a restful sleep so I surrounded it with the medium blue sashing and the dark blue borders and backing.
Now some of you may be thinking that the borders are so big and it looks a little odd but it fits so perfectly on his bed. The coloured bit sits perfectly on the top of the bed and the dark blue provides a perfect amount of overhand so that it covers him totally even when he rolls around (which he tends to do alot).

I was quite heavily pregnant when I was making this quilt as Sam was 2 in April 09 and Jess was born March 09 and I wanted to get it done before I went to hospital.
The quilting is very simple. I quilted in the ditch around the log cabins and then some wavy FMQ on the large borders. It's not the best FMQ and I have learnt alot since then but he loved it and he moved into his "Big Bed" in February 2009 without a whimper.

This quilt also won 1st place in it's category at our local show, don't get too excited it's a very small show but it wasn't the only quilt in it's category so I was happy, I got the news in hospital after having Jess so it was a celebration all around.

So that's my quilt, thank you to anyone who stops by and I hope you enjoy the rest of the festival.

Anyone who is waiting to hear about my SMS Giveaway's please stay tuned, I am waiting for the kids to wake up so I can get all the goodies together and take a photo.

20 comments:

Leah said...

Looks fab, Bec :)

Melissa C said...

Great quilt for a big boy bed.

lristaneo said...

I made a Silly Safari quilt for my son too!! His quilt is very bright as well, with bright blue walls, and traffic-cone orange trim, and he sleeps just fine!! Awesome quilt!!

Carol said...

Looks like a very good quilt for him to grow up with.

Katie B said...

Sam looks very proud of his big boy bed! Great quilt.

Michelle said...

Such a lovely, vibrant and fun quilt!

Jocelyn said...

What a cute quilt. You did a great job!

Allie said...

Darling quilt and darling boy!!!

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

I like the bigger border. Looks good.

Leslie said...

i love it..it is bright and fun. just as a happy toddlers quilt should be.

Karen said...

What a wonderful story. My son loves his quilts (he is 4). It looks a great quilt.

Lonci said...

This is a lovely quilt:)

Anonymous said...

just darling and so much love went into it!

Kelli said...

Great job! Bright and happy!!

QuiltSue said...

What a cute quilt for a cute little boy.

Sharon said...

He is adorable and so is the quilt!

Randi said...

What a cute quilt!

Unknown said...

Such a fun quilt! Thanks for sharing :)

Eileen said...

wonderful, vibrant quilt for your little boy! thanks for sharing it and the story.

Sandra said...

what a bright cheery quilt, can't go wrong with logcabins (this is a great variation).
Come see my antique quilt entries
http://utahquiltappraiser.blogspot.com
http://starleyquilts.blogspot.com